Cystatin C test
About the parameter
Cystatin C is a basic protease inhibitor with a low molecular mass (13 Kda). It is produced at a constant rate in all nucleated cells and appears in human plasma and serum.
Clinical studies have shown that Cystatin C is more accurate than serum creatinine and the Cockcroft-Gault estimation of creatinine clearance and is more reliable than the 24-hour creatinine clearance.
There is a growing body of evidence that suggests that Cystatin C can be used to detect kidney disease at earlier stages than serum creatinine which may help facilitate prevention efforts in the elderly and those with diabetes, hypertension, or cardiovascular disease.
The Cystatin C Assay is based on a latex enhanced immunoturbidimetric assay. Cystatin C in the sample binds to the specific anti Cystatin C antibodies, which are coated on latex particles and causes agglutination.
0.33 – 8.0 mg/l Cystatin C
576 – 3.7 GFR (ml / min / 1.73 m²)
0.5 – 1.03 mg/l
The degree of the turbidity caused by agglutination can be measured photometrically and is proportional to the amount of Cystatin C in the sample.
The test takes approximately 10 minutes.
More details can be found in the package insert.
Please note: All package inserts provided on this website are intended for information purposes only! Always process all tests, controls and calibrators strictly according to the package insert provided with the kit.
Find the evaluation study for the Eurolyser Cystatin C (GFR) assay here: Evaluation Eurolyser Cystatin C
Please note: depending on the time of the market launch of an assay, the according assay evaluation was carried out using either a Eurolyser smart instrument or a Eurolyser CUBE instrument.
Since the measurement method is the same in both instruments (their photometric units are identical in construction), as was proved in this comparison study, all testkit evaluations provided on this website are valid for either instrument!
ST 0240 Cystatin C test kit (containing 32 tests)
ST 2400 Cystatin C control kit (decision level)
Advantages for specific fields of usage:
Radiology and cardiac catheterisation
- Minimize risk of contrast media induced nephropathy (CMIN) – Eurolysers Cystatin C (GFR) assay provides rapid, point-of-care renal assessment prior to contrast media imaging
- Faster workflow – Eurolyser Cystatin C point-of-care testing avoids workflow interruptions when patients arrive for imaging appointments without an actual kidney status (such as creatinine or GFR).
- Reduce medication risks – Renal impairment is frequent in cancer patients and these patients are at high risk of chemotherapy-induced renal toxicity. Eurolyser Cystatin C (GFR) provides important kidney function information for chemotherapy drug selection and dosing.
- Improve patient satisfaction – Many cancer outpatients need to have their kidney function assessed before receiving their chemotherapy treatments. Obtaining a venous blood sample and sending it to a laboratory for creatinine/eGFR testing could delay chemotherapy for several hours. A chemotherapy treatment that might take a couple of hours could turn into a full day and cause patient dissatisfaction. With the Eurolyser Cystatin C (GFR) assay, a capillary blood sample (20µl) can be obtained and renal function can be quickly determined.
- Improve patient triage, expedite patient care
- Minimize risk of contrast media induced nephropathy (CMIN)
Various patient care protocols in the emergency department may require rapid assessment of renal function in order to triage the patient. In addition, many emergency department therapies require timely administration of drugs and adjustment of drug dosage based on renal function. Eurolyser Cystatin C (GFR) accurately assesses renal function with a simple 10 minutes test.
4. June 2018
Canine Progesterone: Another brand-new VET assay by Eurolyser...» Read more...
3. June 2018
Total Bile Acids: A new veterinary parameter by Eurolyser...» Read more...
2. June 2018
CUBE-VET: Eurolyser’s new veterinary analyser...» Read more...
18. December 2017